Wednesday, July 30, 2008

30 Jul

This will be my last entry in Iraq. The last of our containers were moved out today and we are packing the aircraft for the flight south. It is a little sad only taking two back with us. We flew our last mission a few days ago and the last couple of nights we have been shuttling people and aircraft between here and Balad (we had guys up there tearing down aircraft to load onto airplanes to be flown back to Washington and start reset). I flew my last mission last week and it was a good way to end. I got to go out by the Syrian border one last time and the whole mission went really smooth. Time is going slower now. It started on the 22nd – the day we laid out all our gear we are shipping home so the customs people could inspect it. I think that finally made the going home real for me. The last few days have been a little hectic as far as emails go – I have been coordinating the timeline and method for the transition between Alaska and Egypt. Everything was pretty much worked out until yesterday when all the plans were reversed. Now it looks like I will go to the fixed wing course first then on to Egypt. That actually works out a lot better for us. It will give us more time to get things settled and give me a little more green time in between desert trips. As usual God is working everything out.

Clear H 118 L 90

2 comments:

DAD said...

Hey....thanks for all the good question answering. I have learned a lot and was flattered that not once did you say "Hmmmm...that was a dumb question" (: I think you have explained some things many times so thank you too for your patience. Us non-technical types ask questions on a lower level (: I have also noticed that we smile out of different sides of our mouths (: We are praying, as always, for a smooth rest of Iraq time and an easy transition to new people, places and responsibilities. Thanks again David.

David said...

It has been my pleasure. Thank you for all the great questions. When you live in a specialized environment for so long it is really hard to see it through someone else's eyes so I never know what makes sense and what doesn't. I am sure your questions were helpful to many others. Thanks for the prayers and I will hopefully see you guys in a month or so.