Monday, January 21, 2008

21 Jan

Things are just clicking along over here - we just passed over 3000 flight hours since our arrival and in that time we have flown over 2 million lbs. of cargo and 30,000 passengers. Not bad for eight aircraft. I had a good mission yesterday – it was relatively standard but the weather was nice, I had a good crew and everything went smoothly. It made me appreciate again how much I enjoy flying.
I don’t talk very much about my faith here. I never intended this to be the type of journal where I record my thoughts and emotions. Of course there is some of that but I was more interested in showing what transpires in the physical world or what I do on a day to day basis. I have avoided the introspective for two reasons – First, I lack the eloquence or writing ability to do justice to my experiences and more importantly so much of what we think or feel in reaction to an experience is the result of previous experiences so I am not sure much of what I said would translate. Now I am sure there are those who would like to know more about my opinions or reactions to events (Alice) and for you guys all I can say is wait until I see you or at least have a good phone connection :). For the rest I will continue to relay events so at least you know I am still alive. That being said, I am a little concerned lest anyone should interpret from my entries that my Christian faith is not a big part of my day to day existence over here – it is. My faith defines who I am and as a result, all my experiences are seen through that lens. As an example – every time I fly I am very aware that I may not come back (which is why I always make my bed in the morning – I would hate to have somebody think “he was a nice guy but what a slob”:). To me this isn’t morbid – just an acceptance that God is in control. My concern is doing what God has called me to do (and I don’t mean flying) – the outcome is His problem, not mine. I don’t talk about it much because I think one thing we have enough of in our culture is religious talk and what we are sorely lacking is that talk manifested in people’s lives. While over here I have focused on being a peace-maker which has turned into pretty close to a full time occupation as Wendi has heard - probably more than she cares to. Much of what Jesus did and said was radical but what was the most radical then and now was his treatment of the individual regardless of worldly status or condition. If we all acted like that in our daily encounters we would see real change in this world. OK – that is all you are going to get from me - back to what a test pilot does for 15 months in Iraq. :) Love you guys.

Clear H 63 L 30

3 comments:

DAD said...

Dear Mr. One Time Introspective,(:
I am in such agreement with your comments (from a person who always makes their bed..just incase. "In case" not being unexpected company but death. And God knows neither you or I are morbid. (: Which you already said and I agree. (: We are realistic and not very sentimental (at least not on purpose.) But even though we care, We move along. Really KNOWING that God is the one who calls the shots. (Is this a pool hall expression? Like your Dad playing with Renuka...calling an impossible combination of 8 ball, other balls, off the corner whams, crashing here and there, before clearing the table in perfect sequence. This sort of calling the shots means Art plays alone. (: Certainly God is not like that...gloating. (: But anyway...thank you for your comments. I have a prejudice that has grown (I think this growing is not a good thing) with Christian speak that means nothing. Anyone can SAY anything. I have written all those journals and letters..which tender hearted people have kept. Is God front and center, on the page? No, He is not. I have a different focus when I write. To amuse I suppose. No, to pass along my amusement. That is different. (: But He is in my mind, constantly, and is the reason for everything I do or say. That I am often a poor reflection of my confidence in Him is my fault, not His. OK...that is enough introspection from ME.
with love,

The Scubaredneck said...

David wrote:

My concern is doing what God has called me to do... the outcome is His problem, not mine.

The Scubaredneck responds:

David, that's exactly right. All we can do is our jobs and leave the rest up to God.

Take care, be safe and, God willing, we'll see you soon.

DAVE

David said...

Mom,

Thanks for the introspection :) I guess if our actions always reflected our beliefs we wouldn't have to talk so much :) I find I spend way too much time explaining myself which would be redundant if I always did the right thing.