Thursday, December 6, 2007

5 Dec

Weather is starting to affect our missions more and more. Up until now it has just been the occasional dust storm kicked up by wind but the last two missions I have flown were cut short by thunderstorms. The first one was impressive – it’s amazing to see a desert lightning storm through NVGs. It stayed just north of us for most of our mission but once it turned south we shut down for an hour as it passed over us then started back up and finished the last leg of our route. It was a perfect dry thunderstorm for starting fires but there is nothing to burn here so I guess that isn’t an issue. The next night it was more just dust kicked up as the front moved through but we actually had clouds lower than the usual 12,000 feet. I’m still working late on the aircraft (by that I mean sitting there while other people work – the only tool I get is a screwdriver) as we are now having some strange rigging issues. I am wondering if we aren’t going to be forced to undo some of the adjustments we have made over here before we head back to Alaska. It’s hard to believe we are approaching Christmas – everything is so out of context over here. I try not to think about it but I keep remembering that two years ago today I was flying the last acft south to Kuwait and heading home for Christmas. But just like that time passed so will this so I had better get the most out of it. On a sad note one of our pilots (Eric Minter) is going home on emergency leave. His son who is five started having seizures a couple of days ago that knock him out and cause him to stop breathing so they have to keep him in the hospital. Up until now he had every appearance of being a healthy boy. The family could sure use your prayers and I will pass along the son’s name as soon as I remember it.

Cloudy H 82 L 43

No comments: