Sunday, December 9, 2007

This is a sandstorm that hit us a couple of days ago. It was clear when I went to bed and when I woke I could hear the wind hitting the trailer and smell the dust - there is no keeping it out. Earlier two of our acft launched on a mission after being told the visibility wouldn't be lower than 4 miles. Fortunately they had just made it to the other side of the runway when it hit and it was bad enough they ended up having to be towed back across the airfield. Fun stuff.

2 comments:

DAD said...

Dust does have a distinctive smell, doesn't it? Kind of dirt like...dry. (: Now, THAT was an embarrassingly obvious statement but I am leaving it anyway because, like the smell of mold and damp, it is a definite smell and one that I kind of like as proof of being alive with senses. (: Pendleton dirt, while no match for Iraq dirt, can creep and crawl in a small way. When the wind blows fine grains of field are blown in through the windows...not through the glass...not that stout (: but certainly through all the smallest, no light showing through cracks. I remember coming into Pendleton when we lived at Dale and getting mouthfuls of grit in the short time it took to walk from car to store. (I am trying to identify with sandstorms (: Did I tell you of the time your Dad and I were in Death Valley and your Dad said "I hate this wind!!" (which had just flattened our tent) I was OK with the tent-flattening wind but we left...cutting our time there short. His Mom felt the same way...hated wind. Oklahoma hot dry wind especially.

David said...

I enjoy the wind like I enjoy the cold - it's great as long as I can get out of it :) I think having to live with it on a daily basis would be a little hard to take.