Friday, November 30, 2007

29 Nov

Back on the night cycle again – it’s supposed to be the test pilot’s chance for a break but so far that hasn’t happened. My first night back I flew a mission and was reminded for the 20th time why I don’t like flying nights. It was a beautiful night – cold but the moon was almost full and there was no haze at all. Still, having all the extra weight strapped on my head for over five hours makes for a long night. For the past two nights I have been at work for over 12 hours trying to get acft up. That lull in maintenance is over. I had my first engine try to seize up. It was just out of overhaul from the states but something got knocked around inside because when I started it up it made an angry grinding noise and shook the whole acft. It is a little frustrating because of all the man-hours involved just to have to do it all over again on a component that was supposedly just repaired. The internet has been down the last couple of days – not good timing since I just started pushing people for the next quarter’s payment. It does make me realize how much I rely on having it. I watched some of the Republican debate last night on TV – I could only handle small does. I understand the concept behind having average (whatever that means) people ask the questions but after watching the YouTube format I couldn’t help but be saddened by the loss of dignity in the whole process. We have reduced serious debate to a reality game show. Not to mention the fact there is a reason exports should ask the questions – they actually understand the details. Sometimes a little elitism is a good thing.

Clear H 86 L 45

3 comments:

DAD said...

I am SO glad that you watched the debate! now we can visit...about the debate that is (: We watched the WHOLE thing. Fascinated. A bit repulsed. Like watching a snake swallow a frog. (: I was reminded again that a nuanced person has a terrible time campaigning for public office. Just answer "yes" or "no". Anything else comes across as evasive. Or worse...clueless. I was reminded again of the tremendous advantage I would have if, God forbid, I should ever run for office. (Amazing occurance!! Woman 97 years old runs for public office!!") 30 seconds, 90 seconds is an absurdly short time to speak. A running for public office person does not have time to say they are glad to be there...to make comments about the candidate who just spoke...nor time to argue. They need to leap into totally focused statments of policy or fact. Those who could do that did better. I had a positively awful but wonderful instructor who failed 95 percent of his required speech class every semester because they were unable to grasp that 60 seconds meant 60 seconds. Not 59, not 61 and made you sit down if you had an unscripted hesitation. But this is really beside YOUR point which was on a higher level, being not technical but philosophical. My thoughts on watching the questioners...Where do these people COME from? Is this representative? Gadzooks!!! Embarrassing. There were exceptions but the non-exceptions were VERY vivid. I personally would NEVER abolish the electoral college. (: So I am right there along side of you. Elitist to the core in my brain. ((But nicely balanced by the common man in my heart) Espcially unsettling was the Bible display. I mean the literal Bible display. "Do you believe every word in this book? I mean every word? Yes or no." To their great credit no one said "That question is absurd and I will not answer." Which explains why,after all, even given my technical expertise, I could not run for public office. My campaign would last until my first town meeting (:

David said...

Mom,
I am impressed that you watched the whole thing. I think it is important to hear the candidates speak for themselves but I reached my saturation point pretty quickly. I can only imagine what people from other countries must think but then again they may have to endure the same thing (not having watched much foreign election coverage). Often I hear people complain that politicians never give simple answers but the problem is when the simple answer is accompanied with the simple mind (of which we have had several glaring examples). I think what they really want is clear answers, or at least they do until they get the clear answer and don't like what they hear. I think McCain is caught in that trap which is why he can never get elected to a national office. And finally, I agree that the Bible question is absurd and for sure doesn't belong in a presidential debate. It's good to have you back :)

The Scubaredneck said...

David,

The sad thing is that if the election were really a reality game show, it would get more response and more than the paltry 30-40% of folks would vote.

The scary part of the YouTube debate was the lack of care in vetting the questioners. CNN has been embarrassed as it has come to light that several (as in more than just one or two) of the questioners were actually democrat operatives. Of course, all claimed to be asking questions as "average joes" and their respective candidates disavowed any knowledge of their activities but...

Oh well, we could be in Venezuela. Ours is still the best system going, for all its warts and flaws.

DAVE