Sunday, November 25, 2007

25 Nov

Thanksgiving felt pretty much like any other day – I flew (pre-phase test flight) and ate. The only thing that really distinguished it was the crowds and decorations at the chow hall. Actually the last few days have been pretty packed – for the first time since we have been here I have had to wait to get inside. The increase isn’t military (no units are switching out at the moment) it is all civilians. All the security and checkpoints inside the base are manned by Ugandans (yet another duty we have managed to contract out). The rumor has it that we are having a changing of the guard so to speak. One company is taking over from another or at least their uniforms are all different. So until the swap is complete we will have crowded meal times. This new group is rather interesting – all the women have really short hair (crew cut short) and there are some guys that don’t look a day over 14. I would like to find out more about them but their English is pretty much limited to greetings and “Thank you Sir”. I flew my last day flight yesterday – I switch to nights tomorrow. It was a long one (7.9 hours) but one of my most enjoyable. I was flying with my favorite crew and I actually got to see some new country. We landed at a base right on the Syrian border – you could throw a water bottle out of the acft and it would land in Syria. I was a little surprised at what a marked difference there was between the countries. We were able to do some other interesting things but those pictures and stories will have to wait for a different time and format.

Clear H 72 L 48 (yes I was freezing last night)

2 comments:

sara said...

david,
neat pictures. I noticed the temp. has really changed from blistering hot to really nice, will rain and snow be in the future soon? Do you listen to any bands from Iraq while you are up there on the roof?:) sara

David said...

Sara,

There has been a huge change in the temps. On my flight last night it was actually cold - not just cool. I don't know about the snow - last time I was over here it snowed on us a little in January but it seems colder here than in Balad where I was before. As far as the rain goes, I think the rainy season is January to March. So far we haven't gotten anything here. The days are beautiful but as soon as the sun sets it cools off rapidly. As for the music, I can't say I have ever heard of any Iraq bands. I pretty much listen to mainstream American music :) Actually that night I was listening to Allison Krauss - very relaxing.