Sunday, October 28, 2007

28 Oct

I flew my last night mission last night (at least for a month). Most of my flights have been under high illumination conditions (which means close to full moon). I enjoy that more because I get to see the country better and of course it makes flying easier. The downside is other people can see us but the way we are flying on this rotation has eliminated a lot of the ground fire threat. It has also been enjoyable just being up and around at night – the desert under a full moon is beautiful. We did our first raid a couple of nights ago – it’s amazing how many troops we can put on the ground with four Chinooks. Two days later we went back in and picked them up. They even managed to get some of the guys they were looking for (a lot of times they come up empty). The unit we supported was another Army unit that is stationed out here – they said it was nice to get to work with Army again (we speak the same language). There was a lot of planning and work that went into it but it sure was a nice change. All in all I actually had quite a but of variety on nights – in addition to the raid I flew to Al Asad once, Balad twice, and a couple of new areas that none of us had ever been to yet. Today I am trying a different technique for reversing back to days. I have stayed up since my mission last night and I hope to make it through the day and go to bed at a regular time tonight. I have just about run out of things to do and I found watching baseball doesn’t help :).

Clear H 101 L 70

No comments: