Friday, August 31, 2007

31 Aug

The last few days have been tiring. I have been flying quite a bit – two test flights a day for the last four days. I think I have already mentioned it but the hardest thing about flying is everything leading up to actually getting airborne. The nice thing about flying missions is that you only do it once and your day is pretty much over when you get back. The average test flight last between ½ to 1 ½ hours but form the time I start looking at the aircraft until I finish the paperwork after the flight it is easily between three and five hours. I’m not helping myself out either – I need to get back into the gym and going to bed earlier. I can see the effects because the last couple of days I haven’t been handling the heat as well. Brian made it back yesterday morning so that should help – we may go back to split shifts again. I have found I am not a morning person – I like sleeping in. J.R. started his official progression this morning with the pre-phase test flight on 169. The flight went well – I like teaching people. The second internet system should be up any day now – it is just a matter of getting the right computer configuration. Speaking of computers I may have to completely restore mine to get my TV tuner to work. Wendi and Betsy headed down to Seward yesterday for the weekend – I am very jealous but glad they get to do it.

Clear H 115 L 87

4 comments:

sara said...

David,
Your pictures are really interesting and informative. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I was looking @ your post time and think I see the problem and solution for your " I'm not a morning person" GO TO SLEEP EARLIER ! :*) Sara
P.S I realize if you do that, your blog might not be as interesting or informative... said while smiling....

David said...

Sara,
You have a very good point - as I write this it is 1:20AM :) I don't know how time goes by so fast. The last couple of days it has been my computer. I completely reset it last night to fix something I did last month and I have spent hours loading all my programs back on. On that note I am off to bed - I should be switching back to a swing shift so I can sleep in a little :)

The Scubaredneck said...

Dave,

Just to help with your jealousy, I had 7 big spruce trees dropped yesterday (Friday) so guess how I get to spend my Labor Day weekend.

So far, I have bucked and stacked 54 5-foot logs, ranging in diameter from 12 to 20 inches. I have one tree to go and its base measures 24 inches in diameter!!! Spruce beetles and carpenter ants are most certainly a result of the fall. ;-)

Wish you were here,

DAVE
The Scubaredneck

David said...

Dave,

Sounds like fun! :) I also wish I was there. I had some down time at work today so I looked up the weather cameras that we used in Alaska to get an idea of how things look for our flights. It was great to look at live pictures of Alaska but sure made me miss it - what a beautiful state.