Tuesday, August 28, 2007

28 Aug

It’s hard to believe it has been five days since I have written. I guess that is a good thing- it means time is going by fast. Brian went up to Balad Saturday to pick up our replacement aircraft. Once they got there they found out it was coming due on its 3 year weigh. It has been a struggle to get the weigh coordinated in addition to the test flight and as a result Brian is still up there. So it has just been J.R. and I doing the test flights back here. A couple of days ago we had a maintenance day which means we don’t get assigned any mission. Each unit gets one a month – I think it is a great idea, it really helped us out. The last couple of days I have been flying 172 that just got out of phase. We made great progress the first day then after the flight we found a retaining ring that had slipped off the forward transmission adapter. It wasn’t to big a deal but everyone is still a little spooked after 171. It set us back for two days because the forward transmission had to be pulled and new parts shipped in. I finished the test flight today and it is one of the smoothest aircraft I have ever flown. At the end of the day it was the first time since we have been here that all the aircraft are up (of course we only have seven but it is still a good feeling). We finally got our TV connection hooked up in our rooms today (rough life huh?  It’s nice because they show a whole lot of sports (right now I am watching the US Open). I tried to plug it into the TV adapter my computer and only managed to shock myself and blow the circuit breaker in the room. At least it didn’t fry my computer but I need to figure out how to get around it.
Clear H 128(yes that is miserable to work in) L 78

4 comments:

The Scubaredneck said...

Dave wrote:

"I tried to plug it into the TV adapter my computer and only managed to shock myself and blow the circuit breaker in the room."

The Scubaredneck replies:

Next time, step out of the tub of ice-water before handling the electronics. ;-)

I had the same thing happen to me once when I foolishly tried to pull a card off a mainboard with the computer running. YIKES!!

DAVE

Andrew and Jen said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. I just got back from a short hike. I climbed Mt. Adams three weeks ago and haven't done a thing since then. It was a beautiful climb...Mt. Adams that is. Fairly easy hike, but we had great weather and it was awesome to be above 12,000 feet. We slept at over 9000 and even that felt a little weird. Jen has been doing good with her knee - we walked/jogged over 2 1/2 miles this morning, but still no hiking for quite some time. We had two Phillips up for 4 days and visited them for a weekend - truly wonderful people! This weekend is the Ellensburg Rodeo - we weren't planning on going (tickets are fairly expensive), but I won two tickets to the Xtreme Bulls competition...it is like a shortened (2 hours) rodeo with just bull riding. Pretty fun. Take care of yourself - you and others continue to be in our prayers. – Andrew
PS – is it better to give you updates about our lives via email or just in your blog?

jalinc said...

This is your second cousin John Lyons and wanted to say thanks for your sevice and I pray for your safety and success.

God bless,
John
jlyons@ieee.org

David said...

Dave: I figured out what the problem was - I had my computer running through a 110v transformer and for some reason 220v is running through the co-axial cable (probably bad unshielded wire in one of the rooms). For whatever reason it didn't like it so now I plug my computer directly into the wall and everything works.

Andrew: Thanks for the update - it is always good to hear what you guys are doing. I am going to try and figure out how to set up a separate comment section so they are easier to keep track of. As far as writing on the blog or email it is up to you whether you want a lot or a few people to read it. If the whole family reads it I guess you could use it as a way to keep other people updated. Have fun at the Rodeo - I was able to talk to Dad a couple of days ago and they were pretty excited about being able to come up. Take care.

John: Thanks for the note and prayers - maybe one of these days I will make it to one of the reunions and we can actually meet.